The folk/pop duo, The Lovebirds, are currently on the “Breakup Shmakeup Tour” that will be making stops across the West Coast throughout May. While they’re on this tour, they will be doing a blog for us. You can check out the final entry, including some pictures and videos, after the break.
How’s it hangin? This is Veronica from the Lovebirds. Wow…a ton has happened since our last diary update so for easy reading, I’m gonna list. Everything is better in a list. …unless it is a hit list, of course. I will only give some highlights, as there is too much! Too many memories!
1. Met the adorable owner of Marino Adriatic Café in Portland. His daughters bought our blue lovebirds glasses and Veronica’s heart melted into goo.
2. Ate delicious food at a Cuban place..I don’t remember the name so this is no help.
3. Stayed in Portland with Lindsay’s hometown friend Sara. She houses us every year. She has a daughter that is a little princess and a dog that is the size of my car.
4. Experienced Tacoma, Washington for the first time. Our beloved super fan and super friend, Emily Tomkinson came up with some friends. We played at a place called Metronome and if you are ever in Tacoma you should get their coffee. Delish! We have noticed on this tour that people are starting to come to shows without knowing us! They saw flyers/heard interviews/read articles. Marketing works!
5. Got stuck in a round about. This car doesn’t turn on a dime and it doesn’t help that I drive like a grandpa.
6. The Cabin. Ohhhh the cabin. Our friend, Jessica owns a cabin in Olympia and every year we get to stay there while we are in the Seattle area. This is a place where we do a lot of creation. I wrote 5 songs in the 6 days we stayed there. Olympia is a muse.
7. We have noticed A LOT of coincidences lately. The craziest happened at the cabin. I was outside playing the guitar in the middle of the woods and in front of the Puget Sound. Jessica asked me what I would name the instrumental I was tinkering with (no lyrics yet…just melodies and guitar part) I said, “Volcano”. Lindsay came out and said, “I finished writing my songs but I only have the lyrics. It’s about volcanos. I named it “My Volcano”.” Whaaaaat?!?! Needless to say we put them together AND IT WORKED. The song title? Volcano, My Volcano.
8. Had lots of laughs in the car. Continued our Caraoke tradition with some 90s hits. Check out our YouTube channel for the magic. http://www.youtube.com/thelvbirds
9. We dove into the high dive bar and played on a bill with our good friend, Brenda Xu. Check her out. She’s the bees knees.
10. I’ll try to make this as short as I can…I’m currently not succeeding. But I am cutting lots of corners.
11. We then shot over to Texas (minor detour) so we could play at The Kerrville Folk Festival. There were up to 800 submissions for the songwriter contest. There were 32 finalists (us being one of them) and at the end only 6 winners…sadly….WE WON!!! (Gotcha!)
12. We played in Austin. Our friends Leah and Cara came out and it was so nice to see them. We stayed with our wonderful musician friend Barbara Nesbitt…check her out too. She is a front-woman in an Austin band called The Whiskey Sisters. They will be touring in Europe because they are cool like that.
13. We drove 14 hours to Paso Robles, played at one of our favorite spots, The Pour House. We love coming back and seeing familiar faces here.
14. We hightailed it to LA and played at The Coffee Gallery. It was one of my favorite shows. Great sound there. Shelby and Tieg opened. They have voices of gold.
15. We hightailed it to San Diego, got in at 1am, got up, packed again and are currently sitting at the San Diego Airport to board a plane to go back to Texas. We get to play a full set at Kerrville. We are REAL MUSICIANS! How good it feels to be doing something we really believe in.
16. I wouldn’t want to do this with anyone else. Lindsay has been my rock and she works so hard for The Lovebirds. I feel honored to be in a band with her. She is a fine songwriter and a fantastic friend. THE END!