This new set of Tour Tips was written by the guitarist, Steve Kopf, from the New Jersey based rock band, The Karma Killers. You can check out their tips for being on the road, after the break.
1. Make sure to bring lots of books, movies and anything else to pass the time.
Because besides the one or two hour’s your band plays every night most days consist of driving… lots and lots of driving.
2. Become a member of AAA (American Automobile Association).
Mark my words. Your van WILL break multiple times. Don’t get stuck three thousand miles from home, trust me!
3. Get used to “showering” in a parking lot with a gallon of water and a disgusting soap bar you’ve been sharing for weeks.
Because I’m assuming your broke like most musicians. Hotels are great to stay in when possible but unfortunately they’re not a reality for most bands. Suck it up, save the money, don’t drop the soap.
4. Make sure you have plenty of merchandise to sell.
Besides the fact that its great exposure for your band, the money made from selling T-shirts, CDS, etc, can really get you out of a bind. If you sell out of all of your merchandise half way through the tour you won’t have any income to rely on.
5. Be smart, but go absolutely crazy throughout the whole tour.
Why? Because dude… YOU’RE ON TOUR! You’re traveling hundreds and thousands of miles with great friends doing what you love to do. Enjoy yourself.
Did you enjoy reading these tips for touring? Let us know in the comments below!