In this Tour Tips segment, the metalcore band, SET TO STUN, recommends advice for being a musician on the road. You can check out the tips below:
1. Hygiene! Hygiene! Hygiene! Pick members with good hygiene if you can, if not, make sure everyone is considerate and clean. Clean up after yourselves, shower regularly and make sure to plan out laundry days! Everyone will be happier if they don’t need to smell your stinky socks.
2. Join Planet Fitness! With the Black Card you get 1 free guest. They are everywhere, open 24 hours and you’ll be able to shower / exercise pretty much every day. Inexpensive and convenient, it also gives you a safe place to park the van and sleep.
3. Designate drivers! Having a designated morning / day / late night driver makes things so much easier and avoids unnncesary arguments. Some of us love early morning and some of us love night driving. Play to your strengths and everyone will be content about their driving shift. Help each other out when you can if someone needs a day/ night off.
4. Always have water in the van! We always use band money to make sure we are stocked with water bottles. Keeps everyone hydrated and happy. Don’t waste your per diem on a bottle of water. (Also keep van beer on hand if you can swing it.) Buy a $5 case everyday and everyone is happy! Plus, you’ll always have stage water, which sometimes is an issue for smaller venues.
5. Don’t sweat the small stuff! Appreciate where you are and what you’re doing. You’re out there living your dream! (in some capacity). Don’t let a bad day ruin your outlook. You’ll look back on this time and wish you had enjoyed yourself more. This is the greatest time of your life! :)