In this Tour Tips segment, the alternative pop band, New Friends, recommends advice for being a musician on the road. You can check out the tips below:
1. Travel Light. Anytime you're touring, gear always takes up the most space and costs the most money to travel with, bringing the essentials only will help you be a million times more efficient.
2. Find food that you can keep in the car and make meals out of. We all love a good big mac combo from McDonalds, but a breakfast, lunch and dinner every night from the golden arches will not only set your wallet back a lot of money over time, but you'll also feel like complete garbage every show day. Stop at a gas station, get some ice, make a makeshift cooler, and go make yourself some sandwiches.
3. Noise cancelling headphones/earbuds will save your day. Touring means travelling at ungodly hours. If you have a group with you, you'll be hearing a lot of sounds and noises from the car, radio, conversations, you name it. Falling asleep in a car or on a plane is difficult as it is, so having the silence option comes in handy. There's also a ton of cheap noise cancelling options now for everyone who doesn't want to pay an arm and a leg for some AirPods.
4. There is such a thing as too much caffeine, drink loads of water so you don't find out what too much caffeine looks like.
5. Touring can be stressful, but make sure you're doing everything to have fun. There's nothing like packing your life into luggage and playing shows every night, so don't let the smallest things ruin the fun!